NetworldEurope is the European Technology Platform for communications networks and services. Communications networks enable interaction between users of various types of equipment, either mobile or fixed; they are the foundation of the Internet. NetworldEurope European Technology Platform gathers players of the communications networks sector: industry leaders, innovative SMEs, and leading academic institutions.
The communications networks industry is supporting the following NetworldEurope vision, aligning with key policy objectives of the strategic planning of Horizon Europe. Communications networks and services enable interaction between users of various types of equipment, either mobile or fixed, for the further development of mobile and wireless, fixed and satellite communications. Such a vision envisages:
- Future communication networks capable of supporting integration of new technologies such as Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Data Analytics, High-Performance Distributed Computing, as well as Cybersecurity and Trust, so to achieve:
- Significantly higher mobile and wireless area capacity and more varied service capabilities compared to 2020, which will be supported by fixed backbone and access networks and complemented by satellite networks.
- A massive digital and green transition towards low carbon footprint of vertical industry.
- Energy savings per service provided
- Significantly reduced service creation time cycle.
- A secure, reliable and dependable Internet with zero perceived downtime for services.
- Very dense deployments of mobile and wireless communication links.
- User controlled privacy.
- New applications such as the Internet of Sense”, XR/VR, digital twins, holographic type communications
- Support for business & government processes improves the competitiveness of the European economy.
- Service hidden complexity from the user with interoperability between different access systems.
- Multi-layered mobility – users move & change devices, sub-networks in trains & cars move, software moves.
- Peer-to-peer communities that emerge to empower people to collaborate.
This results in the mission statement of the NetworldEurope Platform:
- To develop position papers on technological, research-oriented and societal issues.
- To seek discussion of issues with decision-makers in the political and public domain as well as in the industry and research community to bridge the gap between research and innovation and the expectations from European society.
- To regularly develop an updated Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda (SRIA) for Europe in the communication networks domain to guide industrial and long-term oriented research and to provide means for future economic exploitation in global standards and the widespread deployment of communication systems and networks.
- To strengthen Europe’s leadership in networking technology and services so that it best serves Europe’s citizens and the European economy, engaging a broad spectrum of 5G and societal stakeholders through open and transparent processes.
- To support the European 5G and 6G initiatives and the SNS Joint Undertaking by engaging with the overall European community and providing a comprehensive Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda with frequent updates.
- Promoting the active involvement of the ETP community in 5G and 6G initiative proposals and projects.