Among the mandates of NetworldEurope, it is key for the ETP to be able to engage with any kinds of stakeholders, from any research, technology or industrial sector, from any geographical region.
Up to now, these open collaborations have mostly taken place in its Expert Advisory Group and in its SME Working Group: the former with a research and innovation focus (and aimed to create the Strategic Research and Innovation Agendas), and the latter with the purpose of involving SMEs and promoting their participation in collaborative research projects and especially in 5G PPP initiatives.
The need has been recently felt to expand this open forum to discussions over the vertical sectors (with respect to the core technologies within the scope of NetworldEurope). This new collaboration area should complement and extend the Vertical Task Force activities with the 5G IA focusing on 5G, along the key directions of NetworldEurope; i.e.:
- focus on roadmaps, future/long-term requirements, technology and research aspects rather than prototypes and products,
- extend the discussion and engagement globally
- Focus on technology enables and disruptive business transformation aspects
Scope of the Working Group
- Technology aspects
- Exchange/sharing of long term roadmaps from the vertical domains versus communication domain with the view also to evolution beyond-5G and 6G
- elicitation/exchange of user/func requirements
- compatibility/integration and transformation of architectures
- blueprints for common reference points and interfaces
- Economic aspects
- contributions for consideration of restructuring of business models in the telco and vertical ecosystem
- future challenges and markets in the vertical sectors and relationships with communication domain stakeholders
“Horizantolisation” for verticals
Unlike just looking at integration with verticals the Working Group will assume a “horizontal view “considering federation of multiple verticals for new services and businesses and future digital ecosystems and abstractisation of requirements across families of verticals . However we will also, as part of our work will consider the below verticals (Digital ecosystem) such as future energy.
Initial set of vertical sectors
The current / near-future set of vertical sectors derives from those defined by the Task Force for the proposal of a new European Partnership on Smart Network & Services. These verticals are sufficiently rooted in the present time to have a good characterization, and, at the same time, are projected towards the short/mid-term future.
Unlike just looking at integration with vertical to take a horizontal view considering federation of multiple verticals for new services and businesses and future digital ecosystems . However we will also, as part of our work will consider the below verticals (Digital ecosystem) such as future energy
The initial list includes:
- Smart manufacturing (i.e. Industry 4.0 and beyond)
- Automotive and Cooperative Connected Automated Mobility
- Healthcare and Wellness
- Media and Entertainment
- Transport and logistic
- Public Protection and Disaster Relief
Chair and Vice Chair
Chairs: Prof. Maziar Nekovee, University of Sussex
Vice-Chair: Dr. Xulei An, Huawei European Research Centre, Germany
The folllowing Task Forces have been established as a results of extesnive discusson during the inageural meeting of the Wokring Group
- TF 1 Techno-economics and telco and verticals business disruption/evolution aspects,
TF Leads:: Raffaele de Peppe, Giovanni Frattinii
Telco and verticals business disruption/evolution aspects -> download document here
- TF 2 on Enabling technologies for (vertical) ecosystem transformation and federation,
TFLeads Xueli An, Rui Aguiar
Transversal communication technologies innovations and related impact in multiple ecosystems -> download document here
2021-07-14: Webinar on “Enabling Technologies and Requirements for Future Rail Transport Vertical”. See the video recording here. Link to webpage here.
2021-01-28: 5G for SmartManufacturing Webinar, co-organised by the Vertical WG. Link to the webpage here
2020-10-21: First of a series of events with vertical stakeholders, Driving innovation in healthcare with 5G and Smart Networks, October 22nd
Watch the video here